craig clawson published The Forgotten Results and Future Promise of Ranked Choice Voting in Ohio in In The News 2022-05-28 15:02:11 -0400
craig clawson published How Proportional Representation Gave American Voters Meaningful Representation in the 1900s in In The News 2022-05-28 15:01:09 -0400
craig clawson published How Ranked Choice Voting can help reduce corruption in In The News 2022-05-28 14:59:18 -0400
craig clawson published How Ranked Choice Voting can curtail gerrymandering in In The News 2022-05-28 14:57:52 -0400
craig clawson published Nonpartisan group tries bringing Ranked Choice Voting to Ohio in In The News 2022-05-28 14:56:52 -0400
craig clawson published What is Ranked Choice Voting and should it be used in Ohio? in In The News 2022-05-28 14:55:26 -0400
craig clawson published Why not skip a second primary and use Ranked-Choice Voting in November? in In The News 2022-05-28 14:53:50 -0400
craig clawson published Ohio Primary Would’ve Benefitted from ‘Rank the Red’ Voting in In The News 2022-05-28 14:52:07 -0400
craig clawson published What if Ohio Used Alaska’s New Ranked Choice Voting System? in In The News 2022-05-28 14:50:47 -0400
Statewide Organizer Job Description
Rank the Vote Ohio, a statewide nonpartisan nonprofit that advocates for ranked choice voting (instant runoffs), is looking for a full-time Organizer with a heavy emphasis on fundraising to work on the front lines of a transformative education campaign to upgrade Ohio’s voting system to ranked choice voting (RCV).
Hiring will be co-managed by Rank the Vote, which is a grassroots organization founded by activists advocating for RCV adoption locally and across our nation.
Supervision will be managed by Rank the Vote Ohio, which is a registered 501c3 grassroots organization founded by activists for RCV adoption locally and across our state. Rank the Vote Ohio is a sustainable volunteer organization that will execute a program of capacity growth that will advance RCV in the public arena in Ohio. A three-pronged simultaneous approach includes RCV advocacy in municipalities, the state legislature, and as a statewide ballot initiative.
This Organizer will be part of the team to advance RCV in Ohio by being responsible for increasing visibility and winning majority voter support for the RCV movement locally from across the political spectrum. They will be the first contact for donors, will manage campaigns across digital and in-person mediums to develop grassroots fundraising, volunteer engagement, growing the supporter base, and gaining endorsements. Working hand-in-hand with our statewide volunteer leaders, the Organizer will harness tools to help drive success for local statewide events and actions for fundraising, volunteer, and endorsement goals to win RCV for Ohio.
● Fundraising: Perform online targeting and list segmentation for ads. Manage advertising on social media and other channels as needed. Host or train others to host House Parties - on Zoom and in person. Provide event support for fundraisers. Create effective communications/follow-up for fundraising activities that drive attendance and donations. Must be willing to connect with donors across the political spectrum and ask for donations. Provide strategic suggestions based on data/tracking. Run phonebanks to dial for dollars/calltime. Cultivate relationships with larger 4-5 figure donations. Apply for grants. Craft emails/newsletters to raise funds.
● Field: Work closely with the Live Outreach Team to establish operational priorities and meet aggressive weekly and monthly goals for scheduled and ad hoc canvassing and data processing. Manage coordination and communications for Live and Online Outreach events.
● Communications: Support the Communications Team in driving communications across email, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, TikTok and other social media channels to educate the electorate about RCV while minimizing opposition. Develop creative strategies and messaging concepts to drive support of RCV that is compelling, timely, and aligned with public polling results and the current news cycle. Master the campaign messaging, RCV knowledge, and the overall vision for a winning political strategy. Manage social media platforms, including regularly writing and publishing written posts as well as sourcing and managing compelling graphic and video assets. Write creative social media, email blasts, and news content for publication on the website.
● Volunteer Management: Support the Volunteer Onboarding and Mobilization Leads by ensuring volunteer communications and events are appropriately structured and impactful, and also promoted well. Help design and execute a system for thanking and/or rewarding super-volunteers. Provide volunteer training support as needed. Delegate responsibilities to volunteer leaders as appropriate, inspiring them to act and ensuring the tasks are completed. Hire or empower regional field/communications/fundraising operatives that may be volunteers.
● Endorsements/Strategic Partnerships: Assist in maintaining relationships with a corps of influencers, elected officials, allied organizations, and approved volunteers for partnerships and social media amplification. Craft clear reasons that RCV is a solution for various stakeholders across Ohio. Develop and maintain contact with other coalition groups to facilitate collaboration at the local and national levels. Establish a reporting system for key operatives stance tracking.
● Executive and Operations: Other fundraising, operational, strategic planning, training, and administrative duties as needed. Develop movement-building plans with leadership, including quantitative benchmarks, goals, deliverables, etc. Develop clear quantitative and qualitative metrics and operational mechanisms for field-based activity. Develop and maintain systems and databases to count and measure field-based activities including voter ID and target universe segmentation. Develop and maintain systems of detailed tracking and reporting for all teams.
● Experience: 1-6+ years campaign / organizing experience. Experience in digital campaign communications and fundraising, preferably multiple campaign cycles. Experience boosting diversity in organizations. Relationship management experience. Rural Organizing experience, a plus. Lobbying / advocacy experience for issue(s). Graphic and video / creative and production skills. Excellent copywriting skills. Mastery of social media platforms. Demonstrated, measurable results from past successful campaign and advocacy work. List-building and fundraising experience is a plus for issues or candidates. Experience with metrics-based capacity growth and goal-setting and moving volunteers from online to offline direct actions. Experience with traditional and nontraditional online platforms including analytics. NationBuilder experience is a plus. Portfolio examples of work including writing and visual graphics. Excellent public speaking and meeting facilitation skills and prior grassroots fundraising experience is a plus.
● Goal Setting/Achievement: Show planned/achieved goals and tracked metrics/accomplishments in resume.
● Timing: Must be available on some evenings and weekends to ensure maximum engagement with volunteers and leaders.
● Tech skills: Competence in NationBuilder, Basecamp, and/or other web-based project management and collaboration platforms such as NGP VAN/VoteBuilder, OpenVPB, CallHub, Hustle, Relay, GroundGame, EveryAction, GetThru, MobilizeAmerica, Slack, Reach, OutVote, Google Suite, etc.
● Characteristics: Understanding of the Ohio political landscape, passion for RCV and a commitment to continued learning, drive, vision, obsessive attention to detail, proven leadership, an unwavering positive attitude and good humor, an eagerness to receive feedback and course-correction, adherence to an ethos of non-partisan public relations and messaging, including engagement with individuals from a broad spectrum of political views, and ability to show restraint on expressing personal partisan opinions, exceptional people skills and emotional intelligence, and a passion for election reform in Ohio.
● Travel: Must be available to travel within jurisdiction to assist state volunteers on an in-person basis, as public health conditions allow.
● Residency: Be a registered voter in Ohio
● Language: Fluent English speaker. Other language skills are a plus.
Rank the Vote Ohio’s Executive Leadership Team
Full-Time, approximately 40 hours per week
Generally flexible hours, but with some evenings and weekends required
Compensation and Contract terms
Full-Time:$40,000-$49,000 per year for an initial period of 3 months (dependent on candidate experience), with possibility to continue. Candidate must provide their own equipment and supplies (including computer, car, and internet access).
Benefits include short term & long term disability, healthcare, 401K and 29 days of PTO/floating holidays.
How to Apply
Send your resume and cover letter to: [email protected]
To learn more about us, visit https://RankTheVoteOhio.org
Rank the Vote Ohio provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, or military or veteran status in accordance with all applicable laws. We don’t tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of the above. We're committed to building a diverse leadership team. Women, people of color, and members of other historically underrepresented groups are strongly encouraged to apply.
craig clawson published Democracy Experts agree: Ranked Choice Voting works in In The News 2022-04-27 18:31:40 -0400
The Forgotten Results and Future Promise of Ranked Choice Voting in Ohio
Posted by craig clawson · May 28, 2022 3:02 PM · 1 reaction
How Proportional Representation Gave American Voters Meaningful Representation in the 1900s
Posted by craig clawson · May 28, 2022 3:01 PM · 1 reaction
How Ranked Choice Voting can help reduce corruptionSee all posts
Posted by craig clawson · May 28, 2022 2:59 PM · 1 reaction
craig clawson donated 2021-12-27 19:27:32 -0500
We are a grassroots organization. Volunteers are the basis of everything we do. As we continue to build the foundation and grow this movement there is a place for everyone. We are currently looking to fill positions that range from Team Lead to small tasks. Whatever your time commitment or skills, as long as you have a desire to change the way we vote in Ohio, then we will find a place for you.
We ask that you first tell us what might interest you most. Take a look at the list to the right and click the one or two activities you would most be interested in and whether you are interested in a leadership position. Then fill in the rest of the information and click the save button at the bottom. One of our Team Leads or someone from the Volunteer Mobilization Team will connect with you to get you started. Pay attention to your email as we'll be sending information to help you get started.
We look forward to meeting you and welcoming you to the team!Become a volunteer
craig clawson donated 2020-11-15 13:15:42 -0500
craig clawson donated 2022-09-23 23:38:15 -0400
Are you interested in Hosting a Zoom Party for Rank the Vote Ohio?
A short and simple Zoom party can be a lot of fun for you and incredibly educational for your friends. It can also help Rank the Vote Ohio reach even more people. We can work together to plan a theme that fits you and your friends!
Halloween: Vampires, Zombies, Werewolves, or Ghosts?
Harry Potter: Gryffindor, Ravenclaw, Hufflepuff, or Slytherin?
Cocktails: Vodka, Rum, Tequilla, or Whiskey?
Zoom parties will last for approximately one hour. Your group can stay on the call past the hour, though, to continue the party amongst yourselves if you choose!
Please sign up here, and someone from our team will follow up with you.
Thank you so much for volunteering to help spread the word about Rank the Vote Ohio!